Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Bloggers Make a Difference


thanks to the ongoing efforts of bloggers
and other concerned citizens,
the memory of Rashawn Brazell lives on.


Gay men unite through blogs to keep alive the story of a city teen’s brutal slaying
BY ANDREW LAVALLEE
NewYorkNewsday.com

May 24, 2005

Rashawn Brazell would have turned 20 in April. Instead of a celebration, his birthday was marked with candlelight vigils and town hall meetings. By then, his February murder had faded from headlines. But a growing number of New York-area bloggers, many of them African-American and gay, like Brazell, are keeping his memory, and the search for his killer, alive.

"I couldn't do anything else until I'd blogged about it," said Larry D. Lyons II, 24, one of the first to write about the crime in an online diary. Lyons compiled links to news reports and posthumous letters he had written to Brazell in early March. Dozens of readers posted their comments, and more comments came with each entry. Brazell's murder struck a chord with Lyons and many in the black gay community who believed his murder had been given short shrift by the New York mainstream media. Brazell, of Brooklyn, disappeared Feb. 14. Several days later, parts of his body were found in a Brooklyn subway tunnel and later a recycling plant. Early news reports said he was going to rendezvous with another man.

read the full story here.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm really glad that you have joined in this effort to prevent his name from being lost amid a sea of nameless victims. i hope the killer will not get away with this. talking/writing about it, and promoting discussion, is the right way to go.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While it is great to get recognized, it is still a mystery where the mainstream media was on this story. Oh, my bad. They were off chasing after the latest missing white woman story.

3:10 PM  
Blogger N4R said...

This was a great article. I came into blogging late but I have been following the efforts of the collective ever since. It is good to see that bloggers are rallying for a good cause such as this.

When I came into blogging I never thought its influence would be this great. Even the impact it has on me. The community that I have grown to enjoy (actually I am more addicted than anything else) has been a saving grace on my conscious. I have read so many great bloggers and even met a few. I must admit the ones I follow are so progressive they inspire me to learn and do more.

Blogging is whats up!!!

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work

10:35 AM  
Blogger bitchdoctrine said...

As long we we remember Rashawn, then somehow his killer will be found. We can't let his death slip through the cracks and be forgotten.

11:56 AM  
Blogger the young people's professor said...

This is wonderful Larry.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home