Saturday, March 26, 2005

Follow the Vanishing Check


Photograph by Jane Therese for The New York Times

Larry Lyons, who is 23, vividly remembers the Saturday mornings when his mother would write checks to pay the family's bills, dispatching him to the landlord with one for the rent. When he was in sixth grade, she taught him to balance a checkbook.

What he has more trouble remembering is the last time he wrote a check himself.


"I don't think there are any bills for which I use a paper check," said Mr. Lyons, a graduate student in literature at Princeton. "It's much easier to be able to point and click and make a payment."

Mr. Lyons and other young adults may belong to the first check-free generation as they choose to handle transactions almost entirely by debit card, credit card and computer. The number of checks written in the United States peaked sometime in the mid-1990's; it has been falling precipitously for the last four years, according to the Federal Reserve. At the same time, the number of electronic payments has risen swiftly.

By JENNIFER A. KINGSON Published: March 26, 2005.
Read the complete article here.
(PS: thanks to Margaret and Merv for bringing the publishing of the article to my attention.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Bernard Bradshaw said...

Penny Loafers and Blair Arch. You are living your life like it's golden.

bernard bradshaw
Sex and the Second City.com

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NTYimes! Congratulations, Larry. Remind me to ask for an autograph next time we meet:)

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry... the celebrity.
Do the damn thing. I wish the article was more about Larry Lyons lookin' at "straun-jay" in the newspaper than about some damn check. lol Just like you said, you can't even remember the last time you wrote one.
But anyhoo.. Good stuff. Love ya.

10:50 PM  
Blogger ShawnQt said...

Mr. Amazing.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry -

Hey! It's Meredith (Merri) Engelhart from Somerset. I just got an FHS next thing I knew I'm here reading your blog instead of doing a lot of work that I need to finish up.

Everything here is so impressive .. I can't believe I surprised that I missed your blub in the New York Times!

You look like you're doing great for yourself. Hope life is treating you well :)

Meredith

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home