Oh, reader! There are a million things that I've been dying to tell you.
- sagging jeans [I'm interested in how jeans served as the sartorial touchstone of working class identity around the 1950s and how black men in urban areas might be thought to be reanimating its non-conformist politics... with a titillatingly homoerotic twist.]
- oversized tee shirts [White tees look so much like nightgowns that I cannot resist the urge to read them as a Peter Pan-esque means of longing for a lost youth... a willful infantilization of sorts.]
- bling culture [Not only am I interested in the gender-bending that occurs when men decorate every orafice and appendage with gaudy jewelry, but I'd also like to explore Gilles Deleuze's notions of the simulacrum's ability to serve as the avenue by which accepted ideals or “privileged position” could be challenged and overturned.]
- the intersections of punk and thug [I live in Newark, NJ, where the thugs have taken to wearing skinny jeans and biker chains. It's a wonderful time and place to think about how these two subcultures draw upon the same modes of resistance and how that's made manifest in the current trends in urban fashion.
If you have suggestions about what I should be reading,
DO NOT HESITATE: HOLLA AT YA SCHOLAR TODAY!
1. April 9th marked by 27th birthday. I am officially grown and sexy. I plan to celebrate all month long, so feel free to send your birthday wishes and naughty little trinkets my way. The Aries man lives for the opportunity to celebrate himself, and dag nabit April is my opportunity.
If there are any other Aries folks out there with plans to take the NYC/NJ area by storm and paint the town crimson and scarlet, let a brutha know.